How Beautiful

... are the feet of those who bring good news...

Friday, September 01, 2006

Farewell good friend!

I had to scrape my windshield this morning. This can only mean one thing... I'm getting older. In high school I would simply turn defrost on full blast and the moment a dime's size of clarity would appear, I'd blazenly peel out of my driveway. No more. Now I actually keep an ice scraper in my vehicle... one with an extendable handle at that.

There's also another thing scraping my windshield alerts me of... summer is over. Up in a puff of smoke (literally in Missoula's case) So as I careen towards a season of chaotic activity, I bid it all adieu.

Reflecting on these last three months, I realize I've said good bye to a lot of things: my aspirations of getting to the gym, my pasty white skin, my beautiful youth students, hot tea, my best friend Ruthie, the original glass on my vehicle, my teaching job, my JusChill'n work shirts, my parent's house...

In the process of letting it all go, I've actually gotten to say lots of hellos as well: hello Chi Alpha, hello girls who I missed so much, hello hobo spiders, hello close proximity to campus, hello 40 hours a week, hello brisk morning air, hello awkward reference to a Japanese feline.

It's all a circle I guess, one says hello, another says goodbye... good think Jesus likes the former!

2 Comments:

At 3:10 PM, Blogger Lance Fisher said...

I know you're a fan of Myth Busters. Here's a good article.

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Lance Fisher said...

hello, hello. you say goodbye, i say hello. (that's the beatles you know)

The best solution to scraping ice is the garage. I make sure to clean it out enough every winter so at least one car can fit in there. My truck won't, but Shannon's car will.

When I was in highschool, I was probably even worse than you with scraping the windshield. I often would just stick my head out the window and go. One cold morning, I started driving down the dirt road thinking that I could see, when really I couldn't, and I ended up going off the road and hitting a green electrical box. About a week later, my dad asked me if I knew what happened to the electrical box out there, and I said, "what happened to it?" Then he said, "well it's knocked over and it has blue paint on it." (my car was blue) I told him that I may have hit it, and that was the end of that. I think it is still knocked over to this day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home