How Beautiful

... are the feet of those who bring good news...

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Saddle up.

I think I've retorted once already how much I enjoy this hippy community called Missoula, but last week gave me another reason to celebrate it's unique culture. For the sixtieth time this year it was walk/bike/bus week. For those of you out-of-towners, this is where the entire city promotes alternative means of transportation and severely condones the use of any other vehicle besides the bio-bus that consumes old McDonald's fry-juice for fuel. Ordinarily I can't keep track of the frequency by which our city holds these events so I simply drive my car year round, regardless of the icy stares of pedestrians strewn about this activist town.

Last week however, I participated. I'd love to say it was because I saw the value a car-fast would have on the quality of the o-zone layer, but I unfortunately have to report it was simply because I couldn't afford gas. The ridiculous price of fuel forced me to pedal along with the thousands of unshaven bikers in a not-so-deliberate-participation-of-the-walk-bike-bus-run-slackrope-pogo stick-tie yourself to the back of a sea turtle (thanks Jamie Kelly) week.

The only thing that I discovered over the process was that bicycles are terribly dangerous. I think I was almost wiped out by two SUVs, one BIO-BUS, four Hondas and a rather portly professor on a Schwin. Perhaps the next time Missoula throws an alternative mode of transportation fiesta, they should teach non-participants how to drive. Or they should provide me with another kind of bike... a Harley-Davidson. Now that's the kind of activist week I could REALLY get into...

1 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Blogger Lance Fisher said...

I too participated in Bike Walk Bus Week. I rode three out of five days. I just forgot on Monday. Dangerous as it is, Missoula is one of the better places to bike around. In Montgomery it is much more dangerous. There are no bike lanes, and drivers really aren't used to seeing people bike around. Also, down there you'll be covered with sweat when you get where you're going. It is so hot and humid.

I really love Missoula. Did you know about The Way to Go Club?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home