How Beautiful

... are the feet of those who bring good news...

Monday, June 13, 2005

Switchfoot has a point...

One of my best friends and I had a telephone conversation the other day about how our dreams and desires were all meaningless. Don't worry, we didn't go all Ecclesiastical or anything, and we didn't knock the fact that God has designed us to have vision for the future and purpose in the moment, but there was this resounding thought in us that we were meant to live for so much more. Perhaps there is this innate desire, nay a gnaw in us for something grander, greater, more glorious than what this world has to offer. Could it be that our heart's hunger for friendship, marriage, children and even 'success' is simply an appetizer for a more substantial fulfillment beyond our imagining.
Correct me if I'm wrong philosophers, but wasn't it Plato that had this idea that we were living in a cave with our backs to the 'fire' existing as if the shadows were reality and all that it entails... Could it be that if we turned around and faced the source of all Light that we would discover a dimension our feeble imagination could hardly wish for... True life and the glory thereof.
It makes me recall the 'painful grass' in Heaven that CS Lewis recounts in the "Great Divorce" and how the passers through couldn't bear to stand on the divine knoll because the reality of it all was too much for their preferred palate of drab.
People, this world has ripped us off! They've reduced our Creator to Captain Planet whose only real power comes from a bunch of tin rings entrusted to a multi-cultural posse of children... I think there was a monkey thrown in somewhere too!
What I'm trying to say is that there is more. There is something greater. Don't settle for a lesser-existence fueled by lesser-loves and lesser-stories! We were created to live for so much more. For a Glory this reality has yet to sample. Come on! Let's wet their appetite and give this earth a taste of Heaven!

2 Comments:

At 10:54 AM, Blogger erin said...

I'm enjoying this!

:]

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger erin said...

Okay, so I know it's weird to comment on such an old post...especially when my comment has nothing to do with that old post...I tried to e-mail you from your profile page, but I'm not allowed! Anyway, I know that I don't know you very well (except for the egg incident), but I just had to say that you've been on my mind a lot lately. You're one of those few people who the very sight of just makes me happy, so when you seem sad or distant, I guess I can't help but notice and wonder. Again, I could be way wrong, but I figure, what's the harm in telling you you're on my mind? Blog-stalkers can be fun, right? Anyway...if you ever need someone to share thoughts, chocolate or Old Navy with...

:o]

P.S. I'm still enjoying your blog!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home